Friday, December 23, 2011

Ructions

Once again, I have missed the current installment of Pads and the Unibrow Do Texas. I'm not sure, but I think the episode involved Tweets (or possibly twits) and Heather getting sent home in a hail of gunfire.

Or so I gather.

The reason I missed my favorite show this week was that I was having a Top Chef experience all my own courtesy of Sir, the holiday season, and the good people at our local high-end pan-Asian-but-mostly-Japanese chow house, of which we have been loyal fans for years. The restaurant has proved to be one of those places where a wheat-free warrior can present herself for a post-movie meal and - with minimum fuss - be rewarded with gluten-free delights such as foie gras with roasted pineapple and eel salsa; sous vide salmon with pistachios and pine nuts; and tuna with tomato yuzu chutney. Wash it all down with a sake-and-cucumber on ice and one is able either to celebrate a new four-star-find or recover from a regrettable two-thumbs-down turkey. Either way it's difficult to lose.

Since none of the flicks we are desperate to see has as yet come to the Valley (although there are tantalizing rumours that Gary Oldman's new Tinker, Tailor etc. will be appearing only 40 miles away come mid-January), we showed up for dinner sans cinematic hors d'ouevre. The Kid Squid's absence and something akin to holiday giddiness led us absentmindedly to peruse the chef's tasting menu, something we rarely do for three reasons:
  • the Squid refuses to sit still long enough for the rest of the family to eat more than two courses. Since he is not a dessert eater, this tragic state of affairs used to result in my being denied my favorite part of a restaurant meal. As most eateries of my acquaintance are unable to offer a gluten-free sweet other than creme brulee, however, this is no longer the heartbreaker it was in my distant cake and tart-consuming past
  • Sir and I have a deep suspicion of chefs' menus. Having experienced (let there be no mistake) a few by chefs of great renown, we have come to the conclusion that sitting through a four-hour dinner of small courses is like watching avant garde theater or a runway show of Lacroix couture. To be sure, one admires the artistry and skill on display and utters knowingly appreciative oohs and aahs, but it's difficult to come away with a sense of one's soul having been satisfied. But that's just us. Heathens.
  • Sir and I are usually too fiscally responsible to spring for a tasting menu. See above.

But how, on this occasion, could we resist oysters, quail eggs, diver scallops, and (be still my heart) wild boar? Not easily, that's for sure. Besides, the number of times I've seen wild boar on a menu hereabouts I could count on one hand and not even worry about carpal tunnel syndrome.

The bill of fare was admirably effuse in its descriptions and all the offerings looked pretty safe, gluten-wise. I double-checked with our server, who said she would, in turn, double-check with Chef and that was that. Sir and I sat back with our ridiculous cocktails and waited expectantly for the delights that would no doubt soon be coming our way.

Soon afterwards, the First Course arrived: a quicksmoked Kumamoto oyster with Reisling caviar, pickled cornichon, pearl onion and paddlefish roe. The dish was served in a large glass snifter with a lid on it, just like they have been doing at Alinea since time immemorial and everywhere else on the planet for the past three years or so. Still, it was the first time I'd experienced such sophistication in the Valley and it was pretty exciting, I must say. Chef had clearly been practicing with his spherification kit to produce the sparkly-sweet caviar and we contentedly slurped away, enjoying the play of sea and smoke. Sir thought the cornichon was briny overkill and a long discussion about acidity and its desirability ensued.

Our conversation became so involved that we failed, at first, to notice the rather excessive hiatus between our first and second courses. Soon, however, just as my fascinating exposition about traditional Japanese pickling methods was winding down, our server appeared. She apologized for the delay and explained that Chef was in the process of knocking his be-toqued head against the wall, since most of the upcoming courses contained soy sauce in various guises and required, in her words, 'reworking'.

***

I'd forgotten that the rest of the world believes soy sauce is filled with gluten!

***

You will no doubt remember that over a year ago, newly reeling from my quack's gluten-free decrees, I engaged in some extensive internet research and concluded that - even though wheat is used in its production - shoyu contains no gluten because during its distillation the protein chains are broken down into their constituent amino acids. Since I have not yet been able to raise sufficient funds to undertake the necessary laboratory testing myself, I must confess this belief is more a matter of faith than hard science. Nonetheless, I stick by it and defy anyone to convince me differently.

Clearly, though, Chef had failed to receive the memo.

I was instantly filled with remorse. My desire to cause as little fuss in restaurants as is humanly possible is well-recorded. If I had known I was going to cause a kitchen kerfuffle I would have either a) ordered off the a la carte menu as per usual or b) kept my mouth shut and discreetly left to one side any obviously gluten-filled morsels. It had certainly not been my intention to require that every dish coming out of the expeditor's window (at a Japanese restaurant, no less) contain no soy sauce! I considered passing my wheat wisdom on to the cooks (who were no doubt by this point cursing the heavens and punters like me who have outrageously faddy dietary requirements), but Sir threatened to walk out if I did. We were at this point committed, he pointed out, and who were we to say the establishment's hash slingers weren't enjoying the thrilling novelty of cooking something new? Dubiously but obediently, I agreed to take what came with good grace.

From this point onwards the dishes Sir and I ate differed in several important respects, so I decided to document the meal for posterity. I didn't have my trusty wee Olympus with me and was therefore obliged to use my Smartyphone. An additional technical snafu occured when I accidentally set the camera to 'video' and I was forced subsequently to edit the footage using the device's rather troublesome screen-capture function. This was helpfully demonstrated to me by the Kid Squid when we finally returned home six hours later.

Second Course
Tuna poke with caramelized onion puree, tasaka seaweed salad, Hawaiian sea salt and a poached quail egg. We detected few obvious dissimilarities except for the soy schmear on Sir's gluten-filled plate. It is possible I was also missing the onions, but it was hard to tell without a direct taste comparison (an impossibility without the risk of approbation and flying santoku hurled from the direction of the kitchen). The quail egg was roughly the size of my thumbnail and oozed everywhere when I jabbed it. It was like eating a very diminutive steak tartare. Divine.

Gluten-filled poke
Gluten-free poke

Third Course
The restaurant's signature sushi tasting, which has long been a soyless sakana serenade. On this occasion it consisted of maguro with onion, hamachi with yuzu paste, sake with mustard miso and mint, and suzuki with lemon and shiso:



Fourth Course
Wild mushroom soup with truffle oil. This took ages and ages since, as it turned out, they had to come up with something completely different for me. I was presented with a bowl of heavenly clam soup with enoki. The enoki were a revelation - they acted and tasted just like very al dente strands of pasta. I was inspired.


Fifth Course
A pan-seared diver scallop with edamame humus, green peas, haricot verts, and cinnamon foam. This was a complete triumph. The scallop sat atop a nabe of hot salt on which were arrayed toasty cinnamon sticks and star anise. I was lacking the cinnamon foam but didn't really miss it what with all the aromatic waftings going on. The scallop was the size of a hockey puck, and the texture of one, too - if the puck in question were made of warm melting butter.

Gluten-filled scallop
Gluten-free scallop

Sixth Course
The much-anticipated wild boar chop with a sweet potato croquette, lamb meatball, and mustard greens. This was the only course about which I had actually been concerned in the first place and with good reason, as it turned out. Chef duly pulled out all the stops to give me something special. He went to the trouble of de-boning the chop and adorning it with all manner of deliciously wasabi-enrobed veg, such that I felt healthy and virtuous as well as gluten-free. The meat itself was pink, juicy, and rich. I permitted Sir to pick up his bone and gnaw on it, just this once.

Gluten-filled boar chop
Gluten-free boar chop

Final Course
Pumpkin souffle. As far as we could tell, the two plates were identical: the souffle (unfortunately fallen by the time I was able to arrange a suitable composition) was accompanied by sweet cinnamon cream and homemade eggnog ice cream. As I scraped my cup clean I pondered the beauty of souffles and made a new year's resolution to produce some of the sweet variety in my own kitchen when the first available opportunity presented itself.


So ended my first experience of special handling in a restaurant. The meal took about seven times longer than might usually have been the case, but the staff imdulged my weirdness with grace and aplomb. I went from feeling downright guilty and regretful to pleased and satisfied - pleased because the kitchen had clearly gone to a good deal of trouble to appease me and satisfied because I had been served a wonderful gluten-free meal that had neither the feeling of 'second best' nor 'making do.' The kitchen outdid itself to make my holiday dinner a memorable and enjoyable one, despite the inconvenience and trouble I had no doubt caused.

But then, as Sir pointed out, it wouldn't be Top Chef without the challenge.

Next up: requiring a holiday challenge of my own, I attempt to make spiced bread pudding from Schar's gluten-free panettone.

No comments: