Friday, February 25, 2011

A Deep Breath Before the Plunge

Well, nobody ever accused me of doing things by halves.

On Monday all I wanted was some banana jam. It is now Friday and, after five full days of planning, plotting, studying, and advice-seeking, my entire weekend will be given over to an orgy of chopping, stirring, sterilizing, and conserving to which the Kid Squid insists on referring as 'Jam Camp'. I shall be canning my little heart out for two solid days.

I have in the house quite a bit of fruit, since I had trouble choosing just one recipe from my two superlative new books. In addition, I have received a number of recipes from generous readers who know a thing or two about these matters. I have jars, lids, and organic vanilla beans (easily the most expensive part of this entire enterprise) standing by.

This is Fractured Amy signing off. I shall resurface in a couple of days, I trust, with tales to tell and jam to prove them.

Wish me luck.


Raw materials for Jam Camp.
Moleskine, warming to his new role in the limelight,
snuck into the frame when I wasn't looking.

No comments: