Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day

Needing to make some room in my cave for a freshly-hatched Wensleydale and a new Blue-Cheese-in-the-Style-of-Stilton (reportage to come), I decided today to reap the benefits of some of my own hard work and slice into the Swiss cheese, now judged sufficiently mature for tasting.

You may recall that my Alpine Kleine has been quietly percolating since the beginning of May when, coincidentally enough, most of the rest of world celebrates Labor Day.

Don't you just love it when everything comes together like that? Synchronicity.

So far, my success rate de fromage is 50%. My camemberts, you may recall, had a thick gritty rind (subsequently discovered to be caused by too-vigorous mold growth) whereas my Wensleydale's perfection exceeded my wildest dreams. How would my latest creation fare?

The results were mixed. It had the fresh, grassy aroma of Swiss cheese and the deliciously unmistakable flavour of Swiss cheese, but I'm afraid its texture was totally unacceptable.

It was full of holes!


No comments: