Friday, March 11, 2011

Two Degrees of Separation

I have written previously how Carla Hall, of winning pot pie and lettuce wrap fame, and I are the best of friends. I mean this, of course, in the sense that I know somebody who met her once. I am reliably informed that she is every bit as classy and terrific as she appears (well, appeared, sadly) on Top Chef.

Handkerchief clutched in my trembling hand, I was perusing what the Bravo blogs had to say about her untimely departure from the Bahamas when I discovered from The Heimlich Maneuver that Carla's Alchemy catering company in Silver Springs, MD is currently being rebranded.

Intrigued, I clicked on the link thoughtfully provided and discovered, to my dismay, that Alchemy by Carla Hall is now a cookie-making business! What an insult! What an outrage! I found this commercial decision depressing for many, many reasons, not least of which is the tragic fact that I haven't eaten a cookie worth the name in five months. I felt the betrayal deeply and was forced to eat a KIND cranberry/almond bar (all natural! certified gluten-free! dairy-free! loaded with anti-oxidants! doesn't taste like packing material!) to restore my equilibrium.

Naturally, the news wounded me to the core. But ever curious - like a moth approaching one of those horrific electric zappers - and in a mood of desperate self-punishment more usually associated with Dostoevsky or Ingmar Bergman, I clicked on Cookie Collection to read Carla's tantalizing descriptions of little bundles of love made with organic sugar, European-style butter, couverture chocolate, artisanal cheeses, seasonal fruits, and gluten-laden flour. Sniffling softly, I prepared to tap on the little x and close the window forever when something drew my attention to the how-to-order section at the bottom of the page.

What did I spy with my little eye?

Pecan shortbread with vanilla salt; Hawaiian wedding cookies; and oatmeal, cranberry, and white chocolate creations are available gluten-free upon request!

How could I have doubted her? My heroine proves her worth once again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the cookies are great. ..they are literally the size of your thumb..so you pop them in before you realize how many you have eaten...but they are good...just be prepared to wait foryou to be able to place your order..you send tem an email..the email paypal invoice..then ship via Post Office...Worth it though.