Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Game for Gluten

After a long morning's game drive, during which we saw many things ...




... I was happy to belly up to an excellent lunch of beef curry, samp, and beans. Not wanting to be rude to my hosts, I gobbled up the proffered side-dish, ignorant of both its origin and constitution. Better known as mngqusho (not a hugely helpful description, I'm sure most Pennsylvanians would agree), my samp was undeniably exotic but horrifyingly grain-like. I was terrified that I'd ingested whole spoonfuls of gluten!

Fearing the worst, I raced to the internet as soon as the day's excitement was over and discovered, to my great delight and relief, that samp is the same thing as cracked hominy - again, an ingredient with which I am not over-familiar, but am confident is made from corn, like putu or mealies.

That makes me four-for-four gluten-free days and counting!

I might not need my Kind cranberry and almond bars (all natural! certified gluten-free! dairy-free! loaded with anti-oxidants! doesn't taste like packing material!) after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK -- that lion looks REALLY BIG. Hopefully HE just had some nice bok for lunch.

Fractured Amy said...

Yes, he was a pretty boy - but he definitely had blood in his eye!