Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Place Settings

As DMR and I toured the Western Cape and South African winelands, I was lucky enough to partake of several memorable gluten-free meals in highly picturesque surroundings.

I ate scrambled ostrich eggs down on the farm ...


... Cape Malay chicken curry on the veranda at Laborie, the restaurant at KWV (Kooperatiewe Wijnbouwers Vereeniging), home of the famous Cathedral Cellar ...



... and an incredible fyndraai (food of origin) lunch at Solms-Delta, an innovative estate in Franschoek dedicated to the uplifting of local residents. There I enjoyed braised blesbok with gestoofde rooikool (red cabbage), witwortel (parsnip) and soetpetat (sweet potato) emulsions, roasted apricots and a green peppercorn gemoedsrus (fortified Shiraz) ...



... followed by lavender and boegoe (an indigenous Khoe herb)-flavored creme brulee with chilli and klapper (coconut) chocolate mousse and lemmetjie (lime) sorbet.




In order to study the glossary thoughtfully provided by my hosts I was required to don my reading glasses - but I didn't need them to see that I was in the midst of some of the most breathtaking vinicultural scenery on the planet.


No comments: