Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lekker on the Veldt

Well, Campers - this time tomorrow I will be bouncing over the Atlantic Ocean, strapped into one of South African Airways' Airbuses on my way to the Western Cape. DMR and I are finally off to the land of boerewors, Malva pudding, Amarula, pinotage, and ostrich curry.

To my knowledge, only one of these delicacies has wheat in it.

This is my first big trip since my gluten freedom-fighting began back in September and I am a little bit trepidatious about how it is all going to wash out, food-wise. Fortunately, South Africa (well, the entire Sub-Saharan region of the continent, I suspect, although I can't speak from direct experience) is a place that lends itself to gluten and lactose-free cuisine. Lean protein and veg are generally the order of the day, accompanied by starches such as rice, potatoes, and mealies - a sort of white corn pudding like grits or polenta that is especially delicious as an accompaniment to 'bok tenderloins and warthog ribs grilled on the braai.

Milk is not hugely evident in the country's traditional cuisine, although Cape Town has a lively cafe culture with lattes available on every street corner. Cheese-making is on the rise - particularly goats cheese, of course, artisanal versions of which are fast becoming a specialty product of the Winelands, which I will be lucky enough to visit for the first time during this trip.

As a backup, I am taking one box of Kind cranberry and almond bars (all natural! certified gluten-free! dairy-free! loaded with antioxidants! doesn't taste like packing material!) in case I find myself stranded in the middle of nowhere with nothing in sight but crocodile sandwiches and bobotie (which is too bad, as I love bobotie: sadly, its sauce is thickened with bread).

Of course, I won't suddenly drop down dead if I indulge in a slice of melktert, roosterkoek or some koeksisters. I have, after all, been an extremely good girl and ingested no gluten (knowingly, at least) since my Jordan almond episode back in December. My bones will probably not turn to dust after one wildebeeskastaiing, although the mental defeat may be too much to bear. I guess I'll just wait and see how the krakelinge crumbles.

The Tasting Team will no doubt be indulging in all manner of gluten-filled delights while I am gone and best of luck to them. This is Fractured Amy officially signing off for two weeks of sun, fun, and fynbos.


Unless the blogging compulsion overwhelms me.
One can never tell what will happen When Rhinos Attack.

No comments: