Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Peppa? Don't Mind If I Dew!

Peppadews®, are my new favorite ingredient of all time.

These sweet piquante peppers (Contemporary and flirtatious! claim the manufacturer) are bottled in South Africa's Limpopo province using a secret recipe that offers the perfect balance of sweetness and bite, coolness and heat. These past two weeks I've been putting them in everything: salads, side-dishes, and sauces are all more awesome when a few of these red beauties are chopped up and added to the mix. They'll be great in cold summer dishes like chilled butternut soup and gazpacho (haven't got round to these, yet) and I am considering how to include some in the bittersweet chocolate ice cream I've got planned.

So It was with great consternation on Monday that I contemplated my half-empty jar of plump Capsici baccati, purchased at the Paarl branch of Pick & Pay on the last day of my vacation with DMR. Suspecting my stash wouldn't last forever, I had earlier planted sweet cherry tomatoes in my garden for bottling in due course - but that project is still weeks away. What to do in the interim?

After work I presented myself in Wegmans' pickles and condiments department to see if a suitable substitute might be found. And what did I spy on the top shelf at the very northern end of the long aisle, dusty but resolute, patiently waiting for a new home?



It turns out that African peppadews®, unlike African swallows, are migratory.

No comments: