Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Morning Coffee

As buona fortuna would have it, the world's best Italian deli is right around the corner from our home-away-from-home whilst we are in Edinburgh.

Requiring fortification for a day of intensive activity, we presented ourselves at the establishment's wonderful cafe and ordered three cappuccini - just to hold us over until lunch, you understand. Then I spotted a crystal bowl full of meringues as big as my head and ordered one, reasoning that a meringue is low-fat and mostly air, anyway (I didn't realize it would come to the table smeared with Nutella and served with a small jug of heavy cream - a presentation I myself shall be adopting henceforward). The boys decided I would feel lonely eating by myself and ordered two huge bombolini - as a sort of solidarity gesture, I guess. Subsequently, I espied in the glass case something called 'orange polenta cake' that turned out, upon enquiry, to be gluten-free. Well, I had to try a slice, didn't I? It turned out to be syrup-soaked and delicious.

I think the lovely young Scottish waitresses were a bit nonplussed by my greediness.



An hour later, waddling somewhat but duly energized, Sir went off to subject himself to some experimental theatre on the Fringe while the Kid Squid and I climbed Arthur's Seat to admire the view.


I'm afraid only two-thirds of the group worked off the morning's calories.

No comments: