Monday, August 8, 2011

Up North

Today the family decamped from London and took the train from King's Cross to Edinburgh - famed as the city where Sir and I met and - many, many years later - where the Kid Squid was born.

It's always wonderful returning to Scotland and within a few hours of our arrival I experienced three gluten-free triumphs of note, which taken together serve as excellent omens for the days to come.

First Triumph
Our hostess, the Most Wonderful Landlady in the World, informed me (with no prior notice from me, I might add) that she had gluten-free sausages on hand for breakfast. Such delight! Such excitement! I have not eaten a sausage this whole vacation and have been feeling the sacrifice keenly. I will be leaping out of bed and roaring downstairs tomorrow morning with rare alacrity.

Second Triumph
I paid a visit to the Most Amazing Italian Deli This Side of Rome, where I discovered a jar of banana chutney that I just had to buy. Never having seen such a product outside the kitchen a chez Fractured Amy, I am looking forward to getting my treasure home for a taste comparison. And it's Scottish, too!


Third Triumph
We ate an incredible dinner down by the waters of Leith in the latest One of My Favorite Restaurants of All Time. Mere words cannot do the meal justice - suffice it to say, we were all weeping with gratitude and joy by the time the dessert wine rolled around.

While the boys ate haggis with neeps and tatties, oysters, and banoffee pie, I enjoyed ...



cod wrapped in smoked bacon with sweet potato puree,
puy lentil/herb vinaigrette, and a balsamic reduction


loin of venison with savoy cabbage, venison chorizo,
peppered potato wedges, and cider gravy
(broccoli, carrots, and haricots verts off camera)


raspberry and bramble jelly with
mascarpone ice cream

And to cap off the evening, the Kid Squid discovered a pub around the corner doling out his tipples of choice, Castle and Windhoek lagers all the way from Southern Africa.

It really is good to be back.

1 comment:

HSR said...

Scotland Forever!

Oh my, the Kid drinking SA lagers in Edinburgh. He should try Belhavens cask-conditioned ales or a wee heavy.