Friday, July 15, 2011

Ballad of the Gluten-Filled Cafe

Today was our shopping trip, held twice a year -
To replace all the Kid Squid's outgrown outdoor gear.

We travelled some distance to an outfitters renowned,
For shorts and safari shirts, khaki and brown.

We were out rather late since the drive was so far,
And ate at the restaurant before we returned to the car.

A quick look at the menu - a veritable game-meat tour!
There was ostrich, elk, bison, and - of course - wild boar.

But this was my first visit since I'd gone gluten-free,
Can you imagine my feelings, when what did I see?

Kaiser rolls! Rye loaves! And flatbreads for wraps!
The countertops nothing but gluten-filled traps.

Salads with macaroni and penne - oh my!
And on the buffet - fish cereal-coated and fried.

Chips that were battered and onion rings too.
Of side dishes sans gluten there wasn't a clue.

But there! In the distance! A salad bar, chums!
But the veggies all lay underneath crisp crouton crumbs.

Desserts? Only a brownie, or torte, cake, or pie -
With all of the wheat flour such a choice would supply.

I couldn't have yogurt, since thickeners were used:
They might contain gluten and so I refused.

As I watched my son chomp on his sandwich with glee,
I felt a strong pang of green-eyed envy.

Sometimes I admit to a sense of defeat -
But it's a rare meal indeed I can find nothing to eat.

No comments: