Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ahead of the Curve

Yesterday I received my mysterious monthly issue of Bon Appetit, gratis and snail-mailed right to my front door. You may recall that I have been somewhat bemused by these regular deliveries, offering as they do dubious gluten-free recommendations, tantalizing but ultimately inauthentic recipes, and product placement of the most egregious sort.

However, I dutifully flip through them before I consign them to the recycling bag just to ensure I am not missing anything important in the wonderful world of advertising. After all, one never knows from whence the next great culinary inspiration will spring, does one?

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that, for the second time this year, I have beaten to the punch Those On the Forefront of Trends. What is it that floppy-haired, skinny-jeaned, sockless, retro-glasses adorned twenty-somethings are up to when they're taking time off from their jobs with graphic design firms, environmental NGOs, and second-hand vinyl boutiques?

Why, they're jamming up a storm, of course, preserving and pickling their little hearts out! Bon Appetit told me so in an eight-page spread devoted to a group of Los Angelinos with names like Josh, Ryan, Ashley and Mackenzie (OK, I made those up) who do just that.

And in what sorts of vessels are the Kids' vinegars, syrups, conserves, and jams resting quietly, waiting for rebirth this winter?

Glass jars courtesy of the noble firms of Ball and Weck, of course!

In a life characterized by utter geekiness and a woeful lack of cool, it's not often I'm able to say, 'Been there, done that.'

Pineapple pickle with pink peppercorns (pint Ball jar)
and blackberry and apple conserve (Weck 0.2 litre mold jar):
so three weeks ago!

No comments: