Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blighty Bound

Tomorrow the family is gallivanting off for two weeks of fun and sun (well, 63 deg F drizzle, anyway) in Jolly Olde Englande and Scotlande.

There is lots of gluten in the UK and I shall be watching sadly as my companions indulge. Here follows a list of my favorite British delicacies, every single one of which is completely jam-packed with the forbidden ingredient:
  • Breakfast: fried bread, cereal-filled Wall's sausages, toast and marmalade
  • Morning coffee: shortbread
  • Lunch: prawn mayonnaise sandwiches, egg mayonnaise and bacon sandwiches, scampi in a basket, a good plowman's, Scotch eggs, pork pies
  • Tea: scones (plain or fruit, I don't care); Bakewell tarts; anything from Betty's in York
  • Dinner: steak pie, fish and chips, crispy duck with pancakes from a Chinese takeaway, the Fiorentina from Pizza Express 
  • Dessert: any pud you care to name, including treacle sponge; sticky toffee pudding; vanilla slices with fondant icing; clootie dumplings; and syrup tarts
The rels have reliably informed me, however, that the anti-gluten leagues are alive, well, and fighting the good fight on their side of the Pond so it is unlikely that I will be able to find nothing at all to eat.

I will not be accompanying the Squid on his onward journey to Venice, thankfully, where I think starvation could be a very real possibility. Poor lamb - to languish in a place where they eat nothing but pasta all day!

This is Fractured Amy signing off for a fortnight while she seeks culture and the good life in the Yorkshire Wolds, London, and Edinburgh.

Of course, I may post from time to time if the gluten situation becomes intolerable.

After all, whingeing is one of the things I enjoy most in this crazy old world ... and isn't enjoying oneself what a holiday is all about?

No comments: